Hazel Grace Lancaster
- 16 years-old
- Terminal Thyroid cancer with long-settled satilite colony in lungs
- Wears a cannula
- Short, unbrushed, brown hair (short from Chemo)
- "marches to the beat of her own drum"
- Favorite activites include reading, sleeping and watch television reruns
- Dry sense of humor
- Best friends are her mother and a girl named Kaitlyn
- Dynamic - starts out depressed, practically lifeless with little motivation. With the help from Augustus, she comes to see life in a new light with a "can-do" attitude and giddy from her first real love.
- Protagonist - her shockingly optimistic attitude while getting to know Augustus and her ability to keep herself alive while working through the issues of her unlikely situation.
Favorite Quote: "...and then I starting to fall in love the way you fall asleep. Slowly at first, but then all at once."
Augustus "Gus" Waters
- 17 years-old
- Short one leg from osteosarcoma
- Messy, brown hair
- Uses cigarettes as metaphors
- Best friends with Issac (a boy with eye cancer who becomes blind from surgery)
- Bad driver
- Plays lots of video games
- Static - it is his optimistic and charming attitude, constantly shown throughout the book, that inspires Hazel to live the life she has left to the fullest, and appreciate everything she has; not focusing on what she does not.
- Protagonist - his ability to help Hazel and give her a love and compassion she has never experienced before
Favorite Quote: "You see, it's a metaphor. You put the killing thing between your teeth, but don't give it the power to do it's killing."